Sunday, February 21, 2010

Clone of Taco Bell Baja Sauce

















My Venture into Cloning

As I've written before, I really enjoy creating new recipes. I also love the challenge of reproducing the secret recipes of foods from some of America's most popular restaurants. I normally do not share my clone recipes because, invariably, there are people out there who will complain that the food doesn't taste exactly the same as the original or is lacking the same texture. Unless you are a food chemist, you will not have access to the enzymes, acids, emulsifiers, and additives that are commonplace in processed foods. Those additives are put in to give foods their unique flavors or textural profiles that most of us would not be able to reproduce with the ingredients available to us at home. I, personally, have no problem if my clone recipes have a slightly imperfect texture or flavor if I can add more natural ingredients that I can actually pronounce.

When developing a clone recipe, I always try to use most, if not all, of the major ingredients in the original recipe (except for the artificial additives, chemicals, and preservatives, of course). Before I ever step foot in the kitchen, I always research the ingredients in the food I'm trying to reproduce. In this case, I went to Taco Bell's website to get the ingredient list for, what most of us call, Baja Sauce. At Taco Bell, Baja Sauce is actually officially called Pepper Jack Sauce. Yes – Pepper Jack Sauce! If you've ever had a Chalupa or Gordita at Taco Bell, this is the tasty sauce that they drizzle on top. Very yummy. The following is the list of ingredients in their sauce as published on their website:

Sauce, Pepper Jack
Soybean Oil, Buttermilk, Water, Distilled Vinegar, Egg Yolk, Jalapeno Peppers, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Granular Monterey Jack, Parmesan, and Semisoft Cheeses (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Salt, Buttermilk*, Bell Pepper*, Xanthan Gum, Whey, Mustard Seed, Garlic*, Onion*, Natural Flavor, Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate Added as Preservatives, Lactic Acid, Citric Acid, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Spice, Proplene Glycol Alginate, Calcium Disodium EDTA Added To Protect Flavor. *Dehydrated

Note the following:
1) Many of the first ingredients are used in the making of mayonnaise.
2) Monterrey Jack cheese is used as well as bell pepper and jalapenos . It goes without saying that pepper jack cheese is nothing but Monterrey Jack with bell peppers and jalapenos mixed in.
3) If you taste Baja Sauce, you will notice that is fairly acidic/tart with a hint of sweetness. That acidity is reproduced with buttermilk and vinegar (and, to some degree, with lactic and citric acids). I completely agree with Taco Bell in making the sauce acidic. You need an acidic condiment to help break up the heavy flavor of fried or oily foods. That's why ketchup goes great with french fries and why steak sauce has such an acidic kick to it. Acidity is critical here.
4) They use a lot of dehydrated stuff (such as the buttermilk, garlic, onion, etc.).
5) If you tasted the sauce by itself, you'll definitely notice that it has a spicy kick to it. I like that.
6) The sauce is not too thick (like some mayonnaise-based sauces can be). In addition, the sauce is exceedingly smooth with no shreds of cheese in it.

I also found several clones of this sauce on the web. Annoyingly, many of the clones did not contain many of the same major ingredients as the original recipe. Several of the recipes contained sour cream which is not in the original recipe in any way. In addition, those recipes have no cheese in them – in a condiment officially named Pepper Jack Sauce!

Although I try to use the same ingredients as the original when possible, sometimes I have to compromise since I'm not using chemical emulsifiers at home. Since their sauce is so smooth, they have to melt the cheese in some way before mixing the sauce. After a LOT of experimenting, I decided to go with a technique used in making fondue. With fondue, wine ( an acidic liquid) is added to milk or cream and heated to boiling. Cheese, which has been coated in a little cornstarch, is added to the hot liquid off the burner. This makes an exceptionally smooth fondue sauce when finished. To make my clone, I use evaporated milk, vinegar, and dried buttermilk to form the acidic base for the cheese. This acidity assures that the cheese does not get stringy when melted. Early on, I tried using fresh buttermilk but it broke so easily when heated that I gave up using it. I compromised and used dried buttermilk instead. Dried buttermilk has the same flavor profile but provides the stability I needed. I tried making this recipe several times with Miracle Whip and it was just too sweet. It's far sweeter than the original recipe so I opted to use regular mayo instead (I always use light mayo).

After experimenting with this recipe no less than 25 times, I finally got it fairly close to the original. At first, I tried using LOTS of cheese. Cheese tastes good so the more cheese, the better – right? Not in this case. I could not reproduce the same flavors with lots of cheese. I played with the amount of dried buttermilk and vinegar. I added and subtracted jalapeno. I added and subtracted corn syrup. You name it, I played with it to get it just right. Over a period of several months, I regularly went to Taco Bell and ordered a Gordita with baja sauce on the side just so I could have the original sauce for a taste comparison. If you saw my big patootie, you'd exhibit no surprise. Each time, I tasted my sauce and the Taco Bell Baja Sauce side-by-side. It's now as close to the original as I can get. I'm happy with the result. Hopefully, you will be too.

I wish Sonic Drive-in was still selling their Spicy Southwest Burgers or Southwest Breakfast Burritos. They were served with a chipotle sauce that was really good that I'd really like to reproduce. Oh, well! If you would like me to post a clone recipe of one your favorite foods, leave a comment and let me know what you'd like. I can't promise I will make it but I might surprise you someday. Enjoy – and happy saucing!

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Clone of Taco Bell® Baja Sauce

(Printable Version)

1/3 c pepper jack cheese, freshly grated
2 tbsp parmesan cheese, freshly grated very finely
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt (1/8 tsp table salt)
2 tsp corn syrup
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 jalapeno (seeds and ribs removed), finely diced
1 TBSP dry buttermilk (sold in the baking aisle)
1/2 c evaporated milk
4 TBSP vinegar, divided use
1 TBSP drained pimentos
1/16 tsp (just a small pinch) cayenne (optional)
3/4 cup mayonnaise

Combine the cheeses and cornstarch in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside. Sargento® Limited Edition Pepper Jack Cheese (in slices) works exceptionally well in this recipe. If you use that brand, you will need two slices (cut finely) to equal 1/3 cup.

In a small saucepan, whisk together the onion powder, garlic powder, salt, corn syrup, mustard, jalapeno, dry buttermilk, evaporated milk, and only 3 tablespoons of the vinegar. Whisk the mixture until the buttermilk powder has dissolved. Turn on the heat to medium and whisk often while the mixture is heating. Bring the mixture to a good simmer and, VERY IMPORTANTLY, remove the sauce pan completely from the heat and slowly whisk in the cheeses. Briskly whisk for at least 1 minute – making sure the cheeses have completely melted. I cannot stress the importance of not adding the cheeses when the pan is on the burner. If you did, you will cause the proteins in the cheeses to form small gritty balls that will ruin the texture of the finished product.

Add the cheese mixture to a blender with the pimentos. Whiz the mixture until the jalapenos and pimentos are very finely chopped and the mixture is smooth. Scope the mixture into a sealable bowl and allow it to come to room temperature on your kitchen counter.

When the cheese mixture has cooled completely, add the remaining tablespoon of vinegar, the cayenne pepper(if using), and the mayonnaise then stir to combine. Seal and put the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to allow the flavors to meld.

87 comments:

  1. Hello Blog Buddies!
    Due to a known problem with the blogging software I use on this website, you may get an error when you attempt to post a comment. If you try to leave a comment and get an error, simply click the "Post Comment" button again. It should work after clicking the "Post Comment" button one or two additional times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! Isn't their Cajun Chicken Pasta good?! I do have a recipe that I'm developing that is similar. It's not perfect yet. When it is, I'll post it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had taco bell baja sauce but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was deeeeeeeelicious! I can't believe they ever took it away from us!

      Delete
    2. At my Taco Bell, you can get it but you have to ask for it and they charge you an extra $.30. It kills me to pay it but can have my food without it, its not the same.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing...my kids love Taco Bell! As a mom, I'd MUCH rather have your sauce that doesn't include all those extra "additives"; I don't care what the texture is! Some people are just too picky for my taste. Keep up the good work. Really enjoy your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know that Taco Bell's taco sauce cleans quarters so that they shine?

    Just a random little piece of info that is in my head. I think we tested it back in my college days and proved it was indeed true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay glad to see the recipe! How long can it last in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vanessa -- LOL! That's for that interesting tidbit of information!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica -- It should easily last a couple of weeks in the fridge. To be honest, it gets eaten so fast, I'm not sure how long it would actually last.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vince, This sauce looks really good. Can't wait to try it.

    Clone Taco Bell's Meximelt -love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! small size soft flour torrillas,
      taco meat (ground beef, taco seasoning, and one can of refried beans, mixed well)
      and pico de gallo (diced tomato, onion,
      fresh cilantro and something else, search that recipe or you can find it at any grocery store in produce usually) and
      shredded three cheese or any bag of mixed yellow & white, colby, etc.

      Shell, then meat and cheese as desired but dont overdo it, and 1 tsp or tbsp depending on preference.
      Melt using steam of some kind.
      Roll em up.

      You can also use larger shells, just use more toppings. Taco bell uses steam to melt these, and that is essential to having the taste and texture the same. Get creative with a pan of boiled water, if you dont have a steam pot.

      Delete
  10. Hi Vince, Your sauce sounds much better than the original - who'd want to eat all those chemical nasties? They sound downright dangerous! Potassium sorbate? Much rather have full-fat cheese and seasonings any day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you ever eat at a plaza azteca? they serve their tortilla chips with salsa and also a spicy ranch sauce. would love to recreate that sauce at home. love your blog and recipes by the way! spent one afternoon just reading, laughing and salivatating (sp?) over your recipes.
    thanks,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unfortunately, I've never eaten at plaza azteca before. The food sounds good though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always wanted a recipe for some good queso, not the dip, but the sauce like they have at Taco Del Mar or Qdoba. Know any good recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Autumn -- Unfortunately, I don't know of any good recipes for a good queso sauce. I have to admit that the queso at Taco Del Mar is pretty darn good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. okay, so i wonder if Taco Bell's baja sauce is similar to their quesadilla sauce? or is it the same? I love their quesadillas so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Their quesadillas use "Creamy Jalapeno Sauce" instead of Baja Sauce. The ingredients for the sauces are similar but they are different sauces. I love their quesadillas, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My husband will be so happy to see this sauce, thank you! Now if you could figure out how to replicate the sauce that Chili's has on their fajita pita.....mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in the process of making this sauce as I type this. Right now, it's sitting on the counter cooling off. Thanks for all your homework. Hey, have you ever tried to clone the chipotle southwest sauce they use at Subway?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have and I love it. I'm been thinking of posting a chipotle sauce. Several restaurants have chipotle mayo (including my personal favorite at Sonic). I need to crack that code!

    ReplyDelete
  20. In regards to Subway's Chipotle Southwest Sauce, please allow me to save you a lot of time, as I have checked out a number of cookbooks that claim to have the recipe, but they are just not authentic! This is a work in progress, but in a side-by-side comparison with the real thing, I have come closest with:

    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    3/4 teaspoon ranch dressing mix (Hidden Valley, powdered)
    1/4 teaspoon corn syrup (Karo)
    1 1/2 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce (I use Bufalo brand)

    Note: This will not match the bright orange-y color of the real thing because I too am using home ingredents and don't have access to things like "oleoresin paprika", alhough I have tried adding regular old (sweet) paprika for flavor with fairly good results, other than the red specks which also don't match the real thing.

    Cheers!

    FoodieZ

    ReplyDelete
  21. FoodieZ -- I can't wait to try your recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm in love with Baja sauce. I don't eat at TB very often, but when I do I have a grilled stuffed burrito with extra baja on it and then I order a side of it as well! I can't WAIT to try this recipe!!! Thank you =]

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pita Pits ancho-chipotle sauce

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for this recipe! I LOVE taco bell's PJ sauce...super yummy! Can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Vince! I just made the sauce and ran into a little problem. I couldn't find any powdered buttermilk, so I used regular liquid buttermilk and heated it oh so slowly until I thought it was hot enough. After I stirred in the cheese (off the heat) and buzzed it (I only have a food processor) the consistency was very gritty. Fortunately, the flavors are all there and it's really quite outstanding. You really can almost eat it by the spoonful...

    Anyway, I didn't use the "Sargento" brand cheese and as stated, didn't use dry buttermilk. Other than that, the only thing I could have messed up is getting the "pre-cheese" mixture to the right temperature. I was afraid of breaking the buttermilk, so I may not have made it to a "good simmer".

    Do you think this is where I could have gone wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Axiomatic -- When developing the recipe, I also tried using fresh buttermillk and the buttermilk broke when heated (even at a low temperature) and made the mixture gritty. The flavor was good but I didn't like the gritty look to it. So, I opted to do dry buttermilk, which didn't break. Although I prefer Sargento in this, any good cheese would work (as long as it is not pre-shredded).

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum! Having this clone available won't stop my going to taco bell, but I will be experimenting with this sauce on other home made combinations, especially since we often try to go vegetarian in order to get those vitamin requirements. Flavor helps me to not miss the meat. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey! Does it matter whether you use cider vingear or distilled white, or even the wine vinegar varieties? Love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I developed the recipe using white distilled vinegar primarily because it does not have any flavors that might compete in the sauce. However, cider or wine vinegars would probably work just fine (but they may affect the color of the final product).

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for your fine instructions on making this extra delicious sauce! I have been with hardly any of smell since before I knew that I had been missing it. That effects my sense of taste so I can only say thank you for providing me with these directions. I did enjoy your narrative about how you developed it! PS I did have a great sense of smell for a few weeks while I was pregnant! I could smell the sweetness of a cola at 25 feet and the cottage cheese as it just began to turn bad! Guess I've experienced both extremes!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Okay the family has given your sauce a big thumbs up! Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

    ReplyDelete
  32. thanks for the recipe! i've gone to taco bell the last 3 days to get their crispy potato soft tacos because i love the sauce so much! i can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I really can't wait to try this recipe, I'm stuck in Germany and they have volcano sauce as their baja sauce and it tastes horrible. I can't wait to make my own food and have this with it. It can almost go with anything, you are my lifesaver and I thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love how detailed your methodology for replicating this is! I went looking for a Baja sauce recipe after making a pretty awesome flatbread got me wanting to try and replicate the Cheesy Gordita Crunch.

    I'm hoping to give this one a try in the next month or so.

    Thanks for your diligence :p

    ReplyDelete
  35. I made the sauce and it is indeed wonderful!

    However, it still seems a bit off in flavor... It's a bit more spicy and less sweet.

    With that said, it is a perfect sauce to use and I will continue to make it. For those wondering how much it will cost to buy all of these ingredients new (I'm a college student so spices and the like aren't already on tap in my pantry), expect to spend around $50 for the smallest quantity of each that you can get. I spent $59 with a six pack of Pumpkin Ale and taxes.

    Cooking a big Cheesy Gordita Crunch dinner for the friends tomorrow... thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  36. $50?! I think the food prices are a bit lower where I live. :-) Good luck with your dinner tomorrow! Now you've got me thinking about trying to find some of that Pumpkin Ale...

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you so much for posting it! I always craved that amazing sauce, and I would always order extra. I recently moved to the UK, so it's impossible to get any more. I tried your recipe with a few geographically-caused substitutions, but it turned out *amazing.* The texture is a bit... gritty... but I think that is due to pepper jack not being a thing over here (the closest available is mild cheddar with loads of peppers labeled as "Mexicana." Also, no corn syrup, so simple syrup must do. Thank you SO MUCH for it! I haven't tasted it since I mixed in the mayo, but I will in the morning. Tacos tomorrow!!

    To the person looking for Pita Pit's Ancho Chipotle sauce, I used to work there; I believe it was made by Hellman's, so you may be able to get it. It was in such high demand that we ran out very quickly and were unable to get more for weeks. We figured out that Hellman's mayo plus Frank's Red Hot and maybe a little Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce for sweet/smokiness.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just made this recipe as a present for my brother (who is a Taco Bell afficionado) and it turned out wonderfully. Thank you so much for posting it! Given how well this turned out, I'm really excited about going through your blog and trying some of your other recipes. I hope to see new posts from you someday!

    ReplyDelete
  39. How long would the sauce keep in the refrigerator?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sadly, I've never had the sauce around long enough to find out how long it might last in the fridge. The last time I made it, I had the leftovers in the fridge for a little over a week and the sauce was still good. It would probably last quite a bit longer than that but I've never tested it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. My last visit to Taco Bell, they informed me that they longer serve their baja sauce with their gorditas... needless to say, I can't wait to try this!!

    I've been looking for a clone for Cheddar's baked potato soup, do you have anything that is close?

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love Cheddar's Baked Potato Soup but I've never tried to clone it. I have, however, worked on a clone of their Santa Fe Spinach Dip (a personal favorite!). That clone, however, is not ready for the public to try.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Can you use the block pepper Jack and grate it yourself? How would that work with melting?

    ReplyDelete
  44. Yes, by all means, use a block of Pepper Jack and grate it yourself. As long as you don't use pre-shredded cheese, it will work quite well. Pre-shredded cheeses are coated with cellulose powder to inhibit clumping and mold. That coating, however, impacts the meltability of the cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I didn't even have all of the ingredients listed in this recipe, and it came out so close to real Baja sauce! Thanks so much for posting, it's a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  46. In addition to my last comment: anyone trying to replicate the Cheesy Gordita Crunch, which I am personally trying to wean myself from my addiction... A great substitute for the outer layer is parantha! I buy it frozen at a local Indian food grocery.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love those Cheesy Gordita Crunches!! I'll have to try using paratha or roti canai sometime to make my own version. That sounds pretty darn good!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Omg PLEASE clone the "griller" sauce from burger king. Featured on the BK mushroom and swiss topper (no longer available in my area) but I've been trying to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh, I love that sauce, too! I'll have to add that to my list of recipes I need to try and clone.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Have you ever ate at Grand Azteca (http://www.grandazteca.com)? They have THE best chicken taco's - amazing!!! If you get a chance to eat there, you should and make sure to get the chicken taco's - then you could always try making those? Thanks, its awesome to find this recipe - I am a ridiculously big fan of taco bell - and this sauce was something that really sets it apart - I'm excited to try it out! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. No, I've never eaten at Grand Azteca. The next time I'm in Michigan, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I stumbled across your blog when I googled how to make Taco Bell's Baja sauce. I loved beef baja chalupas but they don't make that flavor of chalupas any longer. Thank you for taking the time to make the clone of this sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh my gosh.....I love you! I'm so passionate about making my own copy cat fast food/chain food at home with better ingredients, and when they took the baja sauce off the menu at taco bell I knew it was time to add that to my list! Thanks for all the time and effort it took to get the recipe down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Thankyou! Baja sauce is like a drug to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. my wife works at taco bell and i did work there for 5 years. my fave is a gordita crunch with steak no lettece xtra baja now thanks to you i can make them at home you rock bud tyvm

    ReplyDelete
  56. Thanks for working so hard on this! Question - Does it matter what kind of vinegar? Or are you referring to distilled white vinegar? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I used distilled white vinegar in my testing. Other vinegars could impart an unwanted flavor to the sauce or have a different pH.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I love the taco bell baja sauce and I can't wait to try your recipe. I have been searching for a clone for the baja sauce for years. I see that you live in Wichita, KS. I lived in Wichita for 8 years and I am a huge fan of the Hog Wild Pit BBQ, specifically the sweet BBQ sauce. I moved to New England 4 years ago and there are no decent BBQ here. Everytime I go back to Wichita I have to make a special visit to Hog Wilds. I was wondering if you happened to be exploring any Hog Wild BBQ sauce recipe clones?

    ReplyDelete
  59. I also love Hog Wild Pit BBQ and, as coincidence would have it, I had lunch there today! I've never tried making a clone of their sauce but I'll need to add that to my list of things to try someday!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Have you ever found (or do you know of) a recipe for Pita Pits Ancho Chipotle sauce? That stuff is killer!

    ReplyDelete
  61. I've never seen a recipe for Pita Pits' Ancho Chipotle sauce. I love it though!

    ReplyDelete
  62. I totally love the sauce TB uses for their steak taco. Is this the same sauce? I've never ordered a Gordita or Chalupa, although it would be a good taste test. Thanks for the awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  63. You NAILED IT! this tastes exactly like Baja Sauce and I am eternally grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  64. vdavisson -- I've never had the steak taco (I'm not a big steak eater) so I'm not sure if it uses Baja Sauce or not.

    ReplyDelete
  65. I know "Vanessa"'s comment is over 3 years old but anything with vinegar and salt cleans coins.

    ReplyDelete
  66. do u have a clone recipe for taco bell fiesta (pico de gallo) salsa....I found the ingredients on their site but I have no idea how much of this and that to add. any ideas would greatly b appreciated thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  67. Unfortunately, not. I don't have any current plans to make a clone of Taco Bell's Fiesta Salsa. If I ever do, I'll be sure to post it.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Listen, man, you are awesome. I am three months pregnant and my ridiculous craving for chicken quesadillas with baja sauce to dip them is...well, ridiculous. I am so happy to have found your clone! I really appreciate your understanding of the chemical breakdown and knowledge of ingredient ratios. I am doing this fo sho. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  69. So good. Dead on clone! Worth the effort for sure! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  70. I followed this recipe tot he letter, save the fresh finely grated parm which I measured via 'eyeball'.
    I noticed two things. First there was a small amount of 'grit' that I think was the parm. It may have failed to melt.

    The second potential problem, the sauce seems a wee bit more runny than I expected. (Finished making about 1.5 hours ago) It seems no where near the thickness of the picture at the top of this article. It would definitely sit in a bowl like a liquid, not with the consistency of mayonnaise like the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  71. In regards to the grittiness issue, it does sound like your parmesan cheese failed to melt completely. Regarding how runny it turned out, I'm not sure what might have caused that. Mine turns out about the same mayo-like thickness regardless of the brands of cheese I use. Hopefully, it eventually thickened up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  72. I bought a side of the sauce from taco bell. From what I can tell it is very close. I may just need more mayonnaise. I definitely put in 3/4 a cup, but all the same. (Used best foods, FWIW). I failed to say this in my last message - Thanks for your efforts and for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  73. A good way to avoid grittiness is to also buy a block of the cheese you wish to use & shred it yourself. Doesn't have that extra cornstarch in it to cause issues.

    And I'm SOOOOO happy someone has done this so I can have my baja sauce again! Especially since I saw an article where a Taco Bell taco was left out for 3 years & didn't biodegrade. The McDonald's burger didn't surprise me, but the taco did. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  74. I am hoping to find the recipe for Spicy Hawaiian Sauce used by Charlies?

    ReplyDelete
  75. Unfortunately, I've never had the Spicy Hawaiian Sauce used by Charlie's so I can't help you with that particular recipe. It sounds good though!

    ReplyDelete
  76. Hi Vince,

    I've attempted this clone twice now and have followed it exactly to your recipe and steps. The flavor is spot on but for some reason the consistency always turns out so thin like water almost. I noticed someone else had this issue as well but there's was gritty. Mine turns out smooth, just not thick like mayo. Anything you can think of that might be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  77. I just looked at my notes for this recipe and, when I was experimenting, my notes indicated that I tried using low-fat mayo once and it turned out very thin. Did you use low-fat mayo, by chance? I use regular Hellman's Mayonnaise (also called Best Foods). My biggest problem when developing this recipes was keeping it from getting too thick. Aside from the time I used low-fat mayo, I've never had problems with it being too thin. When acids like vinegar are added to milk, it causes the milk to thicken. The added cheese wants to thicken it even more (unless you use a low-fat cheese which would impact the dip's viscosity. The dried spices absorb water and thicken the mixture, too. Then, of course, the mayo is thick, too. Depending on the brands of cheese I used, I've even had to thin it down a little with water or it turns out way too thick. I wish I coud have been of greater help. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. No, I used regular Hellman's mayonnaise just like you and also regular cheese. Nothing low-fat. My next attempt was going to be a much greater amount of cornstarch added to the recipe. Only in hopes to thicken it up some. It reads in your recipe only 1/2 tsp of cornstarch. I'm not sure what else to do. I absolutely love the flavor of the finished recipe and want to use it as I host a taco might for friends. Just can't seem to get it right though. Also I really do appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. Anything else you can think of that might be causing this thin consistency?

      Delete
    2. You might try your idea of adding some more cornstarch. If you have modified cornstarch available to you, you might try using it instead (since it withstands exposure to acids much better than regular cornstarch). If you add extra mayo, it would help to thicken it but it would also alter the final flavor. You could try adding 1/3 cup of evaporated milk instead of 1/2 cup. That would certainly help to thicken it up without significantly impacting overall flavor profile. Good luck!

      Delete
  78. I'm going to try your suggestions and I will let you know of the outcomes. Unfortunately I don't know about modified cornstarch. Not even sure where I would find it. I am a inexperienced person when it comes to this sort of thing but I have very reliable help from family. Thanks again for your quick replies. I'm going to attempt this again with your advice this weekend. Thank you again and I will let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Hello again Vince,

    I changed a few things to how you cook your recipe to get that thicker consistency I was looking for. What I ended up doing is mixing the 1/2 cup of evaporated buttermilk with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. I kept everything else the same and got the results I was looking for. Wanted to post this in case anyone else ran into this problem. Depending on your scenario "if this is a problem" you may consider starting with less cornstarch than I did. Again, thank you Vince. Really enjoy the sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  80. I want to thank you for this recipe, I made it quite a few years back and loved it. it tastes almost exactly like their baja sauce. I was devastated when they discontinued it, I have been searching for this same recipe to make it again and am so happy i found it again! all of the other ones you Google for are made with mayo....not the same lol.

    ReplyDelete

A moderator reviews all comments before they are posted. After submitting your comments, please check back in a few hours to see if they were added.

Related Posts with Thumbnails