Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Quick Refried Beans


















My Venture into Quick and Easy Mexican Food

I am almost mortified to post a recipe on my blog where the primary ingredient comes from a can and can be on the table in less than 5 minutes. With this post, my reputation as a genuine foodie may be in serious jeopardy. Let me first start by saying I normally make refried beans from scratch. That is, I pick through and wash dry pinto beans, let them soak overnight, and then let them simmer for 2 hours in onions, garlic, and spices. They taste great – but they are a serious time commitment. Sometimes when I come home from work, I'm too pooped to take 3 hours to make a gourmet-licious meal fit for a king.

Enter a can of refried beans. A working man's best friend. When I was growing up, my mother always made refried beans from scratch. I was an adult before I even tried canned refried beans for the first time and my first impression was not good. They are incredibly bland. They lack the depth of flavor that comes with cooking your own beans from scratch over a period of hours. The texture is odd and the smell can sometimes be unappetizing. They are, however, inexpensive and quick to heat up. The above recipe is my attempt to make canned refried beans more palatable. Are they as good as homemade? Of course not. However, they are just fine for a quick, Tuesday-night dinner. Sometime, I'll post my recipe for homemade refried beans from scratch – but not today. Today, we are recognizing the fact that we don't always have the time to make a lavish dinner when we come home from work at the end of the day. Give this quick and easy recipe a try. Enjoy – and happy eating!

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Quick Refried Beans
(Printable Version)

1-16 oz can of refried beans
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt (1/4 tsp table salt) or to taste
2 TBSP water

Mix all of the ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes or until the beans are hot – stirring once during heating.

Serving ideas:
Use as a side dish or in burritos, chimichangas, tostadas, dips, and more.

1 comment:

  1. You know whats really good? Stir a shot or two of orange juice into your refried beans.. it really wakes up the flavor.. delicious!

    ReplyDelete

A moderator reviews all comments before they are posted. After submitting your comments, please check back in a few hours to see if they were added.

Related Posts with Thumbnails